December 24, 2009

BEST OF 2009: Aaron's Top 32 Films

Why thirty-two? Because that's how many Christmas Eves I've been alive, and not a day more. Rather than just link to my indieWIRE and Village Voice poll ballots (oops, just did), I've given in to birthday indulgences with a more visually dynamic presentation, alphabetically ordered and with my Top 10 notated. Merry whatever-you-celebrate, GreenCine readers!

Adventureland

A Town Called Panic

Two Lovers

Where is Where?

Whip It

World's Greatest Dad

You, the Living

Honorable Mentions: Antichrist, Avatar, Coraline, Harmony and Me, The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, The Maid, Next Day Air, Pontypool, Tyson, The Windmill Movie

Posted by ahillis at December 24, 2009 12:19 PM

Comments

Year in, year out Aaron has one of the most interesting & varied lists...I bookmark these gems and make sure that I catch up on the ones I have managed to miss all year (or never made it out to the Mile High City!)...the one picture for each film is a great touch too.

Thanks...
KDR

Posted by: KDR at December 28, 2009 8:25 AM

Great list! Thank you!

Posted by: gates! at December 28, 2009 6:51 PM

Dear Aaron
Though I like your list, I am puzzled and a bit frightened by the fact it's more than 90% US movies.
If you care, here is my list for 2009:
All the best
JM Frodon

Posted by: Frodon at December 29, 2009 11:54 PM

Don't be frightened, Monsieur Frodon. I only count 18 of my 32 (56%) as American productions, but if even half the non-U.S. films on your list had received proper or any distribution here (poll rules), this might've changed drastically. The Greek film "Dogtooth" was technically my favorite of 2009, but it doesn't get a stateside release until 2010, and Resnais' "Wild Grass" would've ranked high on my Top 10 as well. "United Red Army," too.

2009 may have been my most American-heavy list in years, and if I had included more than just these films, I'd have given shout-outs to "Tulpan," "Serbis," "O'Horten," "Taxidermia," "Lake Tahoe," and others. Oh well, there's always next year.

Thanks for reading, er... looking!

Posted by: Aaron Hillis at December 30, 2009 12:10 AM

After years of following your lists I'm delighted to see you still doing them. This one appears solid (and challenging) as usual.

Is your old blog still around? (I can't recall the name.) I'd like to have a re-peek at some of those lists gone-by for gems I may have missed.

SW