December 19, 2008

Onward.

GreenCine / IFC.com Continuity. That's what I want to emphasize first and foremost as I carry on blogging solid right here at GreenCine Daily, on through December 31. Then, without skipping a beat, I'll carry on blogging solid, starting on January 1, at IFC.com. (My blog at IFC will be here.) Of course, over the holidays, things may be a little quieter news-wise, but I'm sure the year-end lists will keep on coming, and I'll be on top of them.

Naturally, the blog will keep on evolving. Thinking back over the five and a half years I've been at this, I remember, for example, that I began, for whatever reason, with a "no reviews" policy. News, think pieces, new issues of film journals, the works - just no reviews. Eventually, of course, I realized that it's often in reviews that critics stake out positions, start and finish off arguments, or even crack their best jokes. Now entries on current releases and revivals in theaters, on DVD or elsewhere are an essential part of the constant flow.

So where's that flow flowing? I would guess that, in the long run, as we become just as proficient with our video and audio editing programs as we have been with our text editing programs, there'll be a lot more online viewing and listening to point to. In the short run, we'll keep experimenting with the still relatively new means of publishing available to just about everyone. Fads (e.g., Blog-a-Thons) will come and go, but community-building - the very core of the Internet since long, long before there was such a thing as the World Wide Web - will go on thriving, whether we call it social networking, Web 2.0 or whatever else the marketeers dream up for us in the future.

Keep an eye on GreenCine Daily. It'll be rebooting in 2009 with Aaron Hillis at the helm (more on that shortly) and I'm excited about some of the ideas in the works. Meantime, happy holidays, everybody. Me, I've gotta get back to work.

Posted by dwhudson at December 19, 2008 10:59 AM

Comments

It's Aaron's birthday party tonight. I'm gonna have to punch his arm sore!

Posted by: at December 19, 2008 11:18 AM

whoa. good luck in next phase (new wave, dance craze, anyways)

Posted by: Rich at December 19, 2008 11:54 AM

Well, they said 2009 was going to bring change...

Congratulations!

Posted by: Brian at December 19, 2008 11:58 AM

Congrats on the very interesting development. In a way you'll be now in NYC - so I like that (at least there are greater chances of you getting easy trips to NYC now, even if you decide to keep living in Germany). Anyway, change is good (right?) :) Happy holidays!

- Sujewa

Posted by: Sujewa Ekanayake at December 19, 2008 12:09 PM

Can't wait to see what you are cooking up at IFC, David, and what Aaron is cooking up for the Daily!

Posted by: Daniel at December 19, 2008 12:15 PM

No wonder I haven't heard from you lately! I look forward to all the news changes. There's never been a dull moment round these parts, and I know that that's not gonna change!

Posted by: Rob at December 19, 2008 12:26 PM

That sound you just heard was Chuck Stephens' head exploding.

But seriously, congratulations to you, David, and to Mr. Hillis, who's got some really big shoes to fill.

Posted by: Glenn Kenny at December 19, 2008 12:50 PM

congrats on a phenomenal run.

Posted by: logan hill at December 19, 2008 12:57 PM

I've just bookmarked your new home, David. Best of luck and thanks for all your terrific work here.

Posted by: Tom Charity at December 19, 2008 1:00 PM

I've noted it privately and now I'll repeat it publicly -- congratulations, David! IFC is quite fortunate to have you involved. I will certainly continue reading your postings and insights over there. Furthermore, I look forward to seeing Aaron's forthcoming efforts here as well. Onward, indeed!

Posted by: Jonathan Marlow at December 19, 2008 1:52 PM

Wow, folks. I was offline for a while (hey, it happens) and now I come back to find all this. Many, many thanks to each of you. Seriously. Onward!

Posted by: David Hudson at December 19, 2008 2:06 PM

David, congratulations and sincere thanks for all your years of great work here, and I look forward to checking out your new home comes 1/1/09!

Posted by: Michael Hawley at December 19, 2008 2:22 PM

Just wanted to add to the many congrats here and also to say thanks for the valuable work you have done on this site and will continue to do on IFC.com.

Posted by: Chris Hansen at December 19, 2008 2:39 PM

We mostly only worked together remotely, except in the rare pleasures I had in seeing you in person, and we shall continue to work together in some fashion moving forward I should hope, but it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) I shall miss you 'round these parts, David!

May this all be fruitful for everyone involved. I look forward to working with Aaron and to 2009.

{sniff}
{pop champagne}

Craig

Posted by: Craig P at December 19, 2008 2:40 PM

David, allow me to add my hearty congratulations to the chorus. GreenCine Daily has always been the one blog I visit daily without fail, since I first discovered it, and now it appears I'll have at least two. I'm indebted for the wider attention you've brought to my efforts, and wish you all the best of luck and fortune with your new venture. Happy Holidays.

Posted by: Tim Lucas at December 19, 2008 2:48 PM

Craig, I've really enjoyed it, too. For years, we've been on the same wavelength, making this remote teamwork possible - and when I get back to San Francisco, as I'm sure I will some day, I hope you'll take me back to that amazing soup place... Yum!

And yes, Aaron's going be a blast to work with.

Posted by: David Hudson at December 19, 2008 2:49 PM

IFC not only has the best taste when it comes to acquiring films. They have the best taste when it comes to "acquiring" bloggers as well.

Congratulations, David. The work you've done here has been titanic and invaluable to our embattled community. We'll follow you anywhere.

And congratulations as well to Mr. Hillis, who will no doubt steer a steady course for GCD. We're not losing a blog; clearly we're gaining one.

Not just onward. Upward!

Posted by: msic at December 19, 2008 2:55 PM

Does this mean I should delete my Cinephiliac link?

Posted by: Peter Nellhaus at December 19, 2008 3:14 PM

Very very cool, and I'm very excited for both of you. Can't wait to check out the new space. Congrats!

Posted by: Dentler at December 19, 2008 3:34 PM

I'm very excited for you! And excited about the future of both blogs! And...

"God bless us every one!" - Tiny Tim

Posted by: Jerry Lentz at December 19, 2008 4:15 PM

Happy to hear this news. It sounds as though it might even prove good for all concerned, which will be a rarity these -- or any -- days. Congrats to all!

Posted by: James van Maanen at December 19, 2008 4:55 PM

You have made my life both easier and much more complicated for these past five years. Now I will have both IFC and Green Cine to overwhelm me every day.

Congratulations and hope to see you in Berlin, Rotterdam or Cannes.

Posted by: Gary Meyer at December 19, 2008 5:01 PM

Congratulations, David. I will never forget the early support, which I took very personally. When I went out on a limb and interviewed those unknown kids Joe Swanberg and Frank Ross (mumblewhat?), you gave me the benefit of the doubt and promoted the interviews. Discernment tempered with community-building generosity: that's what has made GreenCine Daily really valuable.

Thanks again.

Alejandro Adams

Posted by: Alejandro Adams at December 19, 2008 6:29 PM

Congratulations, David. I look forward to see where Aaron takes "GreenCine Daily" and what you do at IFC.

Posted by: Sean Axmaker at December 19, 2008 7:08 PM

"That sound you just heard was Chuck Stephens' head exploding."

boom

Posted by: chuck stephens at December 19, 2008 7:41 PM

"Of course, over the holidays, things may be a little quieter news-wise..." You do realize, don't you, that by writing this, you've practically guaranteed that at least two, maybe three major figures in world cinema will croak between Christmas and New Year's Day, right?

Oh, and congratulations and good luck.

Posted by: Joe Leydon at December 19, 2008 8:09 PM

David, a hearty congratulations, visiting Green-cine is a ritual no different from going to the temple. Now that we will have one more destination... on our must visit list.

Posted by: nites at December 19, 2008 8:19 PM

Thank you, congrats and all the best!

Posted by: awang at December 19, 2008 10:34 PM

Congrats, David...and to Aaron, too.

Posted by: larry aydlette at December 20, 2008 9:36 AM

It's been great to have a one-stop clearinghouse for ideas, information, and opinions about all sorts of films. We all owe David immense gratitude for the tradition he has started. And we owe a big thanks to Aaron for keeping that tradition going. Vivat GreenCine and IFC!

Posted by: David Bordwell at December 20, 2008 9:59 AM

I don't think I'd be blogging about film today if your blog hadn't opened my eyes to the incredible diversity, depth and quality of film commentary and criticism on the internet. Your passion for cinema is infectious and I look forward to catching whatever viral fever your new gig at IFC spreads around the globe. Congratulations and thank you.

Matt

Posted by: Matt Riviera at December 20, 2008 2:22 PM

David- Keep doing the impossible! -Rania

Posted by: Week of Wonders at December 20, 2008 4:29 PM

David, a major salute for all the years of standard-setting news and tireless support of the blogging community. Onwards and upwards.

Posted by: Doug Cummings at December 20, 2008 7:49 PM

Congratulations to both David and Aaron! Looking forward to more great film coverage in 2009.

Posted by: James McNally at December 22, 2008 12:38 PM